Monday, July 28, 2014

How Sugar Affects The Brain

Sugar Affects The Brain

  Scientists are working on a consensus that sugar is addictive. I know for the scientist and for all of us, it can be difficult to combine sugar into the same category as drugs and alcohol, but the evidence is accumulating to explain why some of us really struggle to resist or moderate our sugar intake. 

Nicole Avena is interested in the neurotransmitters and brain receptors involved in eating. She did a lab experiment with rats, she is shown how overeating tasty foods (like sugar) can produce changes in the brain and behavior that resemble addiction.

The video above, by Nicole Avena shows why our brains go crazy over sugar. In the video, it shows that our reward system in our brain-which is where we get the feeling of pleasure, is dopamine. Dopamine receptors are all over our brain. When we do a drug like heroin, it brings on an immense increase of dopamine.
  What happens when we eat sugar?? 
       Those dopamine levels surge! Not as much as they do with heroin.
Too much sugar too often can steer the brain into overdrive. This kickstarts a series of unfortunate events=loss of control, cravings and increased tolerance to sugar. All of those effects can be physically and psychologically taxing over time, leading to weight gain and dependence. 


















If you are sensitive to sugar and inclined to indulge in a supersugary treat, do it rarely and caustiously. Otherwise, there is a pretty good chance that your brain is going to start demanding sugar loudly and often. And we are better off without that extra voice in our head. 

Do you struggle with cravings? Maybe it is not just sugar cravings, but it can be fattening cravings that leave you in a depressed, sour mood. 
I have been there, I ate foods I craved and afterwards felt so nasty about myself. 
Not anymore. My cravings are gone, my mood has improved and I have more positivity in my life. My body has accepted the change and reacted wonderfully. 

What changed in my life?

My intake. My nutrients and my goals. 
How did this happen? I introduced one important factor into my life. 



Would you like more information?
Contact me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment