Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with White Beans and Kale

Simple Dinner Recipe:
Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with White Beans and Kale

I love simple dinner recipes. I prepare my meals ahead of time (for the most part) and I really love the easy to put together ones with lots of nutrients. 
Not only are these great dinner ideas but think about all the parties you go to, or that you have and energy runs low and the list of to-do's get longer!
Time, energy and nourishing meals can be a challenge.

I will not take the credit for this recipe. Actually I was at Insanity class with a few friends and afterwards I had a message from my sister-in-law telling me I had to try this recipe and had the link below her message. Now I absolutely LOVE my family. We are all active, and eat healthy (for the most part-except my dad and sister who couldn't go a day with a several cookies-not that they look like they eat them!) But this is one thing we bond over! Recipes, exercise and health!
So my sister-in-law introduced me to this recipe!

It depends on your schedule, but you can cook this all at once, or make some of it beforehand, or make the entire thing beforehand and warm it up before.
It makes a satisfying meal full of colors and textures with warm. The warm flavors of rosemary, garlic, and red pepper and significantly more nutrient than many grab-n-go meals.


The sweet potatoes take about an hour to bake, but they're hands-off, so you can use this as down time to get things done! If you like, bake the sweet potatoes ahead, store them in the refrigerator and then reheat.

You can cook the beans from scratch-simmer them with a bay leaf, a sprig of rosemary and a sprig of sage. Or you can use canned beans, which are much quicker and easier.

Serving is 4

Ingredients:
-4 Sweet Potatoes
-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
-1 Shallot, diced
-1 Garlic Clove, minced
-1 (4-inch) Sprig Fresh Rosemary
-1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
-1 1/2 Cups (or 1 can) cooked and drained white beans
-6 Cups of Kale, trimmed and sliced into ribbons
-1/4 of a Lemon-juiced (or orange juice works as well as my sister-in-law discovered!)
-Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
-Preheat the oven to 400 degrees 
-Scrub the sweet potatoes and prick them in a few places with a fork. Place them on a baking sheet and bake them until soft all the way through, about 45 minutes to 60 minutes
-Start the beans and greens about 15-20 minutes before the sweet potatoes are done
-In a wide/deep saucepan with a cover, heat the olive oil over low-medium heat.
-Add the shallots and cook until softened-about 5 minutes
-Add the garlic, rosemary sprig, and red pepper flakes: cook, stirring, for about a minute
-Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes or stir occasionally 
-Add the kale, cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until kale is soft
-Remove the rosemary sprig, stir in lemon juice (or orange juice) 
-Season with salt and pepper


Serving:
Slice each sweet potato lengthwise and push the ends to open up the middle
Spoon the beans and greens into the center


Please share with me your thoughts on this recipe! I would love to hear what you think and if you make it, take a picture and upload it to Instagram and hashtag #stuffedsweetpotatoes
Make food fun!!

Find me on Instagram while you are at it! @beplummer

These look so delicious! I am so thankful my sister-in-law shared these with me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment