Friday, November 22, 2013

Being a Young Professional in an Old Profession

How to Be a Young Professional in an Old Profession

I have been wanting to write this for so long-because I have struggled this year being a full-time employee in the athletic setting, where coaches have been established for several years. 

I have always loved being an athletic trainer! I love being around athletes, the sports, the injuries and everything else that goes along with being an athlete in the collegiate setting.

I love this picture! As an athletic trainer who hasn't been here?!?! HAHA I know I
purposely stood next to the star athlete during games to get camera time,
although I have to say, I don't really sport the fanny pack anymore! My bag is 
a small child size for the most part!

First things first:
  The reasons why I struggled coming in as a full time, first year athletic trainer; I was questioned and people seemed to think I would NOT stand my ground.

  The hours, is another story-as a student you are always told the hours will be bad, even worse then as a student; but last year I was spoiled. I had one team each season and worked just about 20 hours. This year I started out working about 80-90 hours and I was DRAINED! 


I was really struggling. I was completely miserable and the job I was so passionate about, I could barely piece myself together to show up. I was depressed because of the hours, leaving the teams I had last year and being away from home. Getting to know new athletes, new coaches, new co-workers and new ways was just MISERABLE!!

I knew I had to do something. I loved the profession I chose and I couldn't loose my passion over not figuring out the ways of the "old profession"

I did so much research! I talked to old professors, alumni and previous coworkers.

Here is what I came up with:
  • Remember why you joined this CRAZY profession. We all have reasons why we choose what you are doing. Keep that WHY answer posted EVERYWHERE.-*I have to thank a few of my athletes and one of my students from last year*- They literally text me every week telling me why they appreciated me being their athletic trainer last year and why I would be missed. This helped me keep my focus. THIS helped me focus on my why!
  • Keep those hurt/injured/needy athletes in mind. Know how you can help them and how you can make their experience there so much better. As an athletic trainer, you really see these athletes several hours. Whether you do or don't travel you still spend hours upon hours with these athletes. You honestly have the ability to impact these athletes in ways you could not even imagine!
  • Stick your ground!!! This is SUPER important. I know it is extremely hard and I know you want coaches, athletes and the athletic director to like you-but STAY STRONG! This is hard-I have been there and I still have to fight to stick my ground. I am telling you it is worth it! Most coaches will respect this and if you back it up with positive attitude and hard work they will always be on your side. This was extremely hard for me at first. I wanted the coaches to like me and I wanted the athletes to like me so I tried to sway my answers for who I am talking to. ERROR!! ERROR!! This is the worst thing you can do. This causes confusion and a lack of trust!! I CANNOT express to you the importance of keeping your answer the SAME!!! Certainly change your explanations, and wording-but never change your answer. 
  • Be careful about all you offer to take on. We are athletic trainers-we are here to care for the athletes and make sure their health is at the optimum level. If we are completely worn down because we are taxing ourselves then no we are not able to perform and keep our athletes healthy. **I have been through this, we were asked to add several jobs to our list under athletic trainer and I was not performing any of them well. I had to cut back or I would let everything slip through. 
  • Know your information!! You must know your information-where are you getting your facts from and are you staying up on your research? Remember what your professors drilled into your head through undergraduate and graduate studies! If you have facts to support your answer people will listen to you and know you are to be trusted.
  • Joke with your athletes. If you are serious all the time they will have a tougher timer connecting with you. 
  • Know your athletes, you have to connect with them on all different levels-this is VERY important. How do you expect them to be open with you if you can't take the time to connect with them, on their level!! This is very important!


As a new graduate heading into this profession, do me a favor:
  Make a list of WHY you want to be an athletic trainer
and What you wouldn't give up for the profession and then never waiver on these. Stay bold, strong and firm! This will make you stronger as an athletic trainer and individual. 

Also:**Enjoy your athletes (mostly), coaches and coworkers. They teach you, in every way, everyday. 

My Why:
 *I love sports
 *I always have the best athletes who are just amazing and teach me so much! 
 *It is a profession that just keeps growing and changing
 *Being able to see new places-I love to travel!!
 *All those appreciations, thank you's and the laughters you share with the athletes
 * The reward is phenomenal 
 *Watching them return from injuries is so much fun


Remember that you are building your network. As athletic trainers we forma an alliance. Please do not ever think just because your graduated you cannot go back to your professors for advice (I use mine all the time-Thank you!!)Use coaches you have had excellent relationships with to help with other difficult coaches.
Never forget the athletes you have worked with, they won't forget you if you work with a passion.


Please feel free to contact me for any advice or help you may need. 

brittanyplummer271@gmail.com

Brittany E. Plummer MS, ATC, ROT
I am currently in West Virginia as an athletic trainer at West Virginia University Institute ofTechnology

No comments:

Post a Comment