Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Staying on Track During Thanksgiving

Staying on Track During Thanksgiving

Today I feel like we finally have entered the holiday season. Thanksgiving is in TWO DAYS!! I have even started taking out my Christmas decorations, because when I return it will be Decemeber!! :) I have the Christmas candles placed out in exchange for the pumpkin candles and it smells like Christmas in here!! 

So with all the holiday celebrations so do the muffin tops and tight jeans! During the holiday season there is loads of cocktails, wine, dips, pumpkin pie, chocolate chips, holiday hot chocolates and more delicious treats! YUMMM!!
I allow myself to enjoy some holiday treats, BUT I continue to make good choices most of the time. I do LOVE sweets and enjoy them more than I thought, but I still stay focused and try to remind myself how I feel after I eat too many sweets!
What can you do to have a healthy holiday that will not leave you with those extra pounds and tight fighting outfits. I will give you some of my favorite tips.

1. Workout: I continue to get my workout in even when I am getting packed up to visit family and traveling. While my responsibilities, social calendar and work continue to pack my days-it is important for me to fit my workout in. Even with the busier days and extra hustle and bustle, I schedule my workouts like I schedule any other appointments that I would not skip. It is on my calendar for 7:30am every day! 
If you like to complete your workouts in the afternoon, decide what is most important to you in order to stay on track. If you say "I really need to do my workout." That is your answer and ask the friend to meet you later or if it is with a group meet them a few minutes late. Taking too many unschedule rest days during the week will throw off your routine and mess up your progress. Do not take unscheduled rest days unless it is on your calendar over your workouts!!
2. Thanksgiving Day: Even thought it is a holiday don't use that as an excuse to skip your workout. ESPECIALLY if you have been saving up for the special Thanksgiving FEAST, get in a good sweat session before! I still get up normal time, or later depending on when the festivities will begin and I do my workout. I know I am about to eat more than I am used to and I want to get my metabolism fired up and my feel good endorphins pumping so I can have an amazing day with family. If time is an issue T25 is literally 25 minutes! How easy is that to fit in? This year I am doing Hip Hop Abs and the workout is 30 minutes-I can still fit that in!! I eat a normal breakfast and I will be having Shakeology. I also have my usual snack about 3 hours after my breakfast. It is important not to starve yourself to save calories for dinner. Follow proper portion sizes throughout the day-even at Thanksgiving dinner. 
I continue to follow the palm size portion for lean protein (turkey), I have 1 cupped palm of potatoes (starchy carbohydrates) and I choose either potatoes or corn since both are starches. Then, load up on the vegetables (with no sauce or butter). It is okay to have a roll at dinner! I do!! But then stop there! I do not eat casserole, scalloped potatoes, stuffing, corn, rolls and cookie, pumpkin pie and apple pie. I pick and choose which ones I want to spend my calories on! Choose between the foods you absolutely know you want versus the foods you just want to try! Make sense? Drink LOTS of water! Still aim to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces so you do not confuse thirst with hunger and your metabolism is still cranking!

3. If you are hosting or going to a Thanksgiving dinner bring a healthy dish. You can be sneaky about this-I am sometimes. I like to bring something I can eat a lot of! Usually it has protein in it so you have a back up plan (which happens often when you eat away from home). Quietly get you plate, fill it with what you brought, grab some veggies and fruit and be satisfied with that! I always have my shakeology in my car or bag for afterwards. Remember-it is all about will power and balance. Just because there is nothing healthy, does not mean you have to eat it. Pick and choose what maters to you. 


Enjoy your holidays!
Make sure you take some time to relax, cuddle up with family, laugh lots and play games!
I know my family and I love to play games with each other and watch some football. It is my favorite to do this with my family and catch up on some relaxing time!

Enjoy your healthy holidays!!
Lastly just in case you did mess it up a bit during the holidays you still have time to get back on track before Christmas!!
I am doing a 20 day clean eating and shakeology accountability group to keep you on track! I will teach you tips just like the ones above to help you stay focused and balanced.
There is something about having support that makes all the difference in sticking to your goals!!




No comments:

Post a Comment